Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Daniel Fast

Almost a month ago we started a fast. The Daniel Fast was presented to us and we decided to jump in head first. Mike and I really like to be challenged. We knew this would be tough and that was one of the main reasons we wanted to do it. The first week was definitely the hardest. I was addicted to caffeine, now I didn't have it in abundance everyday, but it was enough to go through the withdrawl headaches. Those first three days were rough! Not only was I dealing with headaches and hunger, but I was dealing with meal planning and the time it takes. I really had to learn how to plan meals because we couldn't have anything off our normal meal list. We could have different elements, but not any complete meal. We had to be creative. Most of all we had to be open-minded. Along the way I met so many people that said "there is no way I could do that." Let me tell you...if you want to, really want to, you CAN do it. Did I have to eat things I didn't really like? Yeah, sometimes. Did I find new things I could eat? For sure.

So, how are we doing since the fast? Good. The first week after the fast we were out of town a lot and had to eat out. That was tough. We were having the opposite feelings from when we started the fast. The first week of the fast we were craving eating out, the first week back to "normal" we were craving home cooked food. Since we've been off the fast and eating at home, we have been trying to find a happy medium. Still eating rice and stir fry veggies but adding a meat element. Eating some sugar, but not at every meal. My goal has been to eat food from the fast for breakfast and lunch and then other foods incorporated for dinner. I've done alright.

What I've gained from the fast: a more willing trust that God has my back and can help me in anything! I am also interested in reading the label of what I put in my body. I learned how cool Daniel is, as Mike said, "Daniel is straight G(angster)!"

I'm so thankful we challenged ourselves with something that brought us closer to each other, our friends, and the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment